Monday, May 21, 2012

Justice League 009


Writer - Geoff Johns
Penciler  - Jim Lee/Gary Frank
Inker - Scott Williams
Colorist - Alex Sinclair/Peter Pantazis/Gabe Eltaeb/Brad Anderson
Letterer - Pat Brosseau/Nick J. Napolitano
Editor - Brain Cunningham/Darren Shan

There were a lot of big names on this issue. Jim Lee, obviously one of the most notable among them. I happen to love Gary Frank's work as well. In fact for me, Frank is the main reason I picked up the issue even though he only had the 11 page short at the end of the main issue.

Let's start with the Justice League portion of the issue. Jim Lee is an amazing artist and anyone that says different is just trying to be a tosser. There is no disputing the fact that he makes the characters look good. I do like that Steve Trevor has been moved into the spotlight more than in before the New-52 came about. Post Crisis, Steve Trevor was old enough to be Wonder Woman's father and was very much a minor character, which is obviously very different than the Pre-Crisis universe where he had a much larger role. Now he is a main character in the Justice League. In fact, he is the most important strictly human character in the series. Superman, Batman and Cyborg's team up was the focus of the issue as well as Steve Trevor this time around with Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman's team up seemed more like a side-note to give us a little more information about the new villain, Graves.



The story just did not get me. I have a hard time thinking that a man that used to idolize the heroes fell into wanting to kill them just because it seems he was not noticed by them. And why is it that every single wealthy man in comics is capable of turning himself into a team busting super villain rather than funding someone else to do it for them? It just does not seem like a very engaging story beyond the run of the mill punch-splosion issues you can get anywhere. I kind of want a little more from a flagship issue of a company.

Another thing I would like to voice an opinion on is the flashbacks. They did not feel very organic. Clunky and awkward would be the words that come to mind when thinking about them. I appreciated them, I just think they could have been shown better, be it in different sections of the issue or just shown in a different way.



Don't get me wrong though, I did not necessarily feel like I wasted time reading this issue, I just look at the Justice League like how one might look at one of those empty action movies. Just cheap, leave your brain at the door, popcorn fun. And that is okay, but I would prefer these kind of stories in less "important" titles. The Justice League was a decent book. I give it a 3.5/5 for almost being good, the art being the saving grace.



Now onto the Shazam section of the issue. I cannot praise Gary Frank enough. His work on Superman: Secret Origins is largely why it is still one of my favorite Superman stories. This art is just awesome. It is engaging all by itself and you can really tell what characters are thinking with their expressions. So bottom line is that the art is yummy.

The story was interesting in its own right. I felt like I actually cared about these characters, this family of orphans. I find myself relating to Billy. He reminds me of myself as a youth. The point (without making my audience into my therapists) is that I actually have no trouble buying into his emotion, which sucks me right into this story like it is a black hole.



Shazam will definitely have my money if it keeps this creative team for sure. I want to know more about every character and see how their relationships with one another will grow and evolve. If you like quality comics, get the new Justice League issue just to support the idea that it might turn the Shazam series into its own individual title. Quite simply the best part of the issue. 4.5/5 for Shazam bringing the overall score of the issue to a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment