Sunday, May 13, 2012

Invincible 091


Writer - Robert Kirkman
Penciler - Ryan Ottley
Inker - Cliff Rathburn
Colorist - John Rauch
Letterer - Rus Wooton
Editor - Sina Grace

This was an issue about everyone else rather than Mark. In fact, Mark is barely in the issue at all. As far as the series goes, it would normally be a rather unnecesary read but the final page caused me to do a 180 on that opinion.
It was just filler for the next issue but we do find out exactly the kinds of effects the disease has had on Mark. Rather shocking to be honest. I have followed this series since day one and it has been a blast the entire way. Lately I have been getting the feeling that Kirkman is phasing Mark out. If this happens, I honestly do not think I will continue with the series. Everyone in this series is enjoyable to read for the most part, but I learned today that they are fun WITH Mark. By themselves, not so much.
We did get to see Oliver, Allen and Atom Eve. These three are the best supporting characters in the series. They fought some monster thing that had no apparant consequence to the series (more filler) and were shuttled off to find Mark, since he was taken from Thragg last issue when Dinosaurus found Thragg trying to murder Mark while he recovered. There was a scene I really liked with Eve near the beginning of the issue though. She got pretty badass when she thought Mark was in danger and even though Thragg laughed it off, it was still a cool thing to see.
As always, Ottley is a phenominal artist and absolutely perfect for this series. He just tells a great story even when nothing is going on in an issue. His art is just fun to look at.
There is a fight at the end of the issue with Dinosaurus against Allen, the New Invincible and Oliver but that is not the interesting part of this issue. No the most interesting part of this issue by far is how the sickness has hurt Mark. I will not spoil this for any readers that must want to enjoy it for themselves but you can expect a traditional Kirkman shocker. My face when I saw this final page was much like Mark himself when he saw Oliver just before.
Overall I would give this issue a 2.9/5. It was just okay. It was not bad at all but if you are pressed for cash, I would say skip this one in place of must have issues this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment