Thursday, May 17, 2012

Incredible Hulk 007.1


Writer - Jason Aaron
Penciler - Jefte Palo
Colorist - Frank Martin
Letterer - Chris Eliopoulos
Cover - Michael Komarck
Editor - Mark Paniccia
Assistant Editor - Jake Thomas


The first thing I noticed about this issue was the cover. I have never seen Komarck's art before but I can honestly say that he is awesome. The lines, the rendering, everything about this cover is something I would want hanging on my wall as a poster. Just a fantastic piece of work.
Then we go inside and get art that I love just as much from Palo and Martin. I have never been a Hulk fan. I have never really understood how Hulk could carry his own title. To me, he has always seemed like a plot device used as a way to give the Avengers or Wolverine something to punch. But I like this art so much, I would stick with the series at least for an entire story arc because of this alone.

Fortunately, we have Aaron on as the writer and in this issue anyway, he is well suited for it. When I first became aware of Aaron, he had started the Weapon X series and it was phenomenal. He seemed to understand Wolverine through and through. But then Aaron moved to other titles and my love of his writing fell into incredible disappointment. But here, he does very well. It is easy to understand what is going on, even though I never read the previous story arc or any Hulk issues for that matter. It turns out that .1 is in fact, a decent jumping on point.
First thing we see is Red She-Hulk bashing Hulk's head in three days from the present. Then back to the present as Hulk and Amanda Von Doom giving Bruce Banner a mock eulogy, dumping his ashes into the ocean in a concrete/lead casket.


Hulk then goes off to party a bit and we get a few laughs from it. But all is not well in Hulk's mind. Something nags at him but he will not admit it. So once those three days of fun are up, Hulk is in a bar trying to drown his troubles with booze like he has known Wolverine to do. Red She-Hulk shows up and we bounce over to a robbery with Orb and his Orblings. I have to say that it is nice to see Orb back. I thought he brought some levity in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine.


The funny parts were funny, the action parts were actiony and the sexy parts were sexy. I am actually interested in what this series has for me in the future. Will I stay on or will I jump off in a matter of a few issues? I have no idea but based on this issue, I will at least give it a shot and see if I can in fact, become a Hulk fan.
I give this issue a 4.3/5. A completely enjoyable issue.

2 comments: